RE: Strange charging issue... STILL Not Fixed!

To: <DANMAS@aol.com>
Subject: RE: Strange charging issue... STILL Not Fixed!
From: "Gregory W. Smith" <gsmith@cvn.net>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 23:32:37 -0400
Having left my Haynes manual at work, I proceeded into additional
diagnostics with... trepidation. (I'll have it tomorrow, though)

Here's the latest:
Voltmeter to gauge common ground, + to big brown wire on stock alternator
Ammeter inline on + circuit for ALL current from battery (using 4 gauge new
cables)

If the car is off, I get 12-13v on the voltmeter. The big brown alternator
wire is ALWAYS hot (it shares the same post on the starter relay with the
battery + cable) This tells me battery voltage is 12-13v... OK

If I turn the car on, but don't start it, voltage drops below 8 (scale is 8
to 16v)
If I start the car, voltage "flutters" from 8v up to battery max. Max drops
as the battery discharges. It takes about 2-3 hours of driving (no lights)
for the battery to discharge.
If I hook up the voltmeter directly to the battery (+ and -) I get the
expected ~12v
So I'm showing the alternator-supplied current (I think)

This WOULD explain why I couldn't get a relatively new radio to work in the
car...

Again, the alternator was tested (at Pep Boys) and puts out 15v for
charging. They said that it's good.

I was able to isolate the problem further, though.
I started pulling fuses (no change) and pulling various leads to see what
behaviour the result would be.

When I pull the battery - cable, the car cuts off. The alternator is not
putting out enough juice to run the car (but according to the test, it IS
capable of doing just that)
When I pulled off one of the LT - coil wires, the car also cut off. But my
"flickering" gauge persisted. -8 to about 10v 4-5 times a second. It would
stop if I disconnected the Molex(?) 9 pin plug to the steering column.

***My best hypothesis is that the trouble is related to one of the smaller
brown alternator wires. My ignition light does light while or just after
starting the car, and stays on until the voltmeter begins its "flicker"
cycle.

Why would I be getting these symptoms? HELP!!!!!

I did have some ground issues. Cleaning them up helped to make the problem
"repeatable": far better for testing.

Ammeter NEVER shows the vehicle charging. (except when I put my battery
charger on at the end. That did show +6A for my 6A charger.

Gregory W. Smith      http://www.cvn.net/~gsmith
Member, Central Pennsylvania Triumph Club
1980 Spitfire 1500 "for the wife" :)
1980 TR7 Spider v8 (in progress)
1980 TR7 30th Anniversary Edition (deceased)