Re:twin SU's

To: Spitfire <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re:twin SU's
From: Roger Elliott <relliott@cjnetworks.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 22:01:14 -0500
I have several questions about the setup.  I will try to answer them
(and
once I get my scanner working I will get pictures of it on the web page
am working on).

The manifold is the European version for the 1500.  The 1300 manifold
takes
HS2's so the mounting flange is different and won't take the HS4's.  I
believe both intakes will fit on either engine.

I purchased the intake manifold from
Scott Harper
Team Triumph -
Phone: 330-392-7176

Ted Schumacher indicated he, also, keeps them in stock
TS Imported Automotive
404 Basinger Rd.
Pandora, Ohio, USA 45877
Ph. 800/543-6648  USA

I purchased a used set of MGB HS4's and rebuilt them.  I used the
linkage
from the MGB Carbs - they came on the MG manifold and had all the
linkage
there.  However, the Spit carbs are closer together than the MG's so I
cut
the connecting rods down to the proper length (Just eyeballed the
length).
I cut the same amount from each end as the throttle has rod has a piece
that has to be centered.  There needs to be a little a play in the rods.

Also, some of the linkage is slightly different so I had to make a
mounting
point below the carbs for the throttle return springs.

Since the carbs I have came out of an early (65) MG there isn't a
connection for the crankcase breather.  I have to figure something out
for
this as I ran the breather tube to the charcoal canister.  It apparently

isn't venting enough as there is some oil coming out of the little
breather
hole in the oil filler cap.  There would be a fairly easy solution if I
had
an electric fuel pump. Joe Curry has talked about using the mechanical
fuel
pump hole for a vent.

Both of the above vendors carry complete setups that can be bolted on,
which would make it a lot easier.  However, there will still probably
have
to be some sorting out of fuel lines, etc.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions - but be patient I
will
be out of touch with my computer from 5/22 - 5/31.

Roger Elliott

----------
> From: Robb Tones <robb_tones@bc.sympatico.ca>
> To: Spitfires Mail List <spitfires@autox.team.net>; Roger Elliott
<relliott@cjnetworks.com>
> Subject: Re: Twin SU's
> Date: Wednesday, May 19, 1999 7:05 AM
>

> Roger,
>
> What intake manifold did you use for your SU HS4 setup?
>

> Cheers,
>
> Robb Tones

had