Re: TR6

To: <ShewFamily@aol.com>
Subject: Re: TR6
From: "richard stieg" <rstieg@ci.bartlett.tn.us>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 08:21:11 -0500

car was actually "auctioned" off when the top five "bidders" were given an
opportunity to raise the ante.  the ad stated -or best offer- which meant
that the "bidding" started at a grand.  they were to call me tomorrow to let
me know what the winning $ is. Had over 30 calls in two days.

The car was THE apocryphal "old car in a barn"  only this was a complete (no
missing parts, anywhere) 1975 TR-6 stored under the same owner for 12 years,
and garaged for 7.  Only two small rust spots-natch- and a reskinning of the
starboard door necessary.  It had been oversprayed with a cruddy MAACO
special green over original red at some point, and funky louvers punched
into the hood. Still, it was a kick to hang around watching guys kick the
tires and haggle-one optimist even brought a trailer with him.  One former
TR owner (anybody thumping the floor pans-you know the look)  was really
pi**ed he couldnt get it RIGHT THEN.  Sure was fun to watch.

I took a spare battery and my checkbook-just in case.  but after sitting in
the car looking at the resto work I broke out in hives :)  Too soon after
getting the Spitfire back together, I guess.

Somebody got a bargain (sigh)

rick stieg
75 spit