Re: Crude Prices OT

To: "Laura G." <savercool@email.msn.com>
Subject: Re: Crude Prices OT
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 17:56:20 -0700
Laura,
It's all a publicity campaign!  In reality, the oil companies win
whether the price goes up or down.  Here's how it works:

1. During the oil bust, the Domestic companies cut back on US
production.  They found that it was cheaper to buy it from OPEC than to
pump it domestically.  So when the price goes down, they get a break.

2. They still produce oil domestically even though in reduced
quantities.  So when the prices go up, they can get more for their
domestic crude and then whine that they have to pay more so they can
pass it on to you and me.

So it is a "Win-Win" situation.  They win either way!

Joe

"Laura G." wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> I was just watching the stock report on CNN-they reported that Oil companies
> "took a beating as crude prices fell".
>
> Hmmm...."Crude prices fell". Now I know that it still takes money to refine
> the stuff into food for our little machines-but, aren't crude prices ine of
> the reasons that they're always raising prices?
>
> BTW-did anyone else get the e-mail about boycotting just one oil company,
> and Chevron was picked as the one we should boycott. Oh no!!! But, they're
> the ones I have an account with! Now, I've been trying to buy the cheapest
> in my neighbourhood, and it just so happens that other than Arco, Chevron IS
> the cheapest in a 3mile radius--what's a socially conscious girl to do?
>
> Laura G. and Nigel

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer