Knock All Gone

To: British Cars Post <british-cars@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Knock All Gone
From: BWN <bwnbcg@cruzio.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 14:27:11 -0700
The piston slap which you all were so helpful in diagnosing is now
gone.  I bought a can of "Super Metal-Add" crankcase refurbishing
formula guaranteed to never require an engine tear-down again.  Worked
like magic.  Then I awoke from my dream . . .

Actually, I pulled the pan and head and removed #4 piston.  Replaced
with a new one (yes, I was able to get a matching new one!)  I honed the
bore to remove the scoring.  Only took light honing.  None of the other
skirts had any sign of wear.  They all hang down about 1" below the
bottom of the bore, so at BTC, they are easy to see from under the
engine.

The old piston had .015 torn off the side of the right hand skirt.
Think that's what was slapping?

Got it all back together and it works fine now.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Brian

79 Spitfire
65 Spitfire