Re: roll bar padding?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: roll bar padding?
From: Dave Mack <davemack@rhiwderin.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 08 May 1999 22:20:39 +0100
I recently fitted a roll bar to my Spit, and found that it was
positioned such that if my car was hit to the rear my head would be
thrown backward  and straight into the bar. I suppose that at 6'2" I may
be taller than some other Spit drivers, but I'm sure many will have had
similar concerns. Although the bar I bought was supposed to be padded,
this was minimal and more decorative than protective, so I felt the need
to add a little more to protect my head from the bar. I found that the
foam insulation sold to lag water pipes fitted quite nicely, and
suitably covered in matching vinyl doesn't look out of place. I also
added a high level rear brake light, which hangs down from the roll bar,
to try to prevent a rear end shunt from occuring in the first place.
Has anyone had experience of a rear end shunt when driving a Spit with a
roll bar? Am I just paranoid?

Enjoy the sun,

Dave

--