Jacking Safety WAS: RE: Front Spoiler

To: Craig Smith <CraigS@iewc.com>
Subject: Jacking Safety WAS: RE: Front Spoiler
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 16:40:26 -0400
At 12:19 PM 5/6/99 -0500, Craig Smith wrote:

>Just a note here,,,,
>I lost a real good friend of mine to a 57 chevy in College.

<gruesome details SNIPPED>

Of course, I was asking Neil to use his imagination in my description of
the valence.

I too know people who have died when a car fell on them. I use a PAIR of
hydraulic jacks and two stands.  Just call me Chicken.

A great safety habit is to store any removed wheels under the car.  You
won't trip over them, and if the car falls, the wheels will hold it up
enough for you to squeeze away to safety.

This trick worked great for an aquaintance who was working under an Alfa.
Although he was using jackstands, his wrench slipped onto the starter
connections and caused the rear wheels to lurch the car off the jacks.  The
wheels saved him!

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire
No funny saying this time; subject is a serious one!