RE: wire wheels

To: "'Childs, David'" <dchilds@epri.com>
Subject: RE: wire wheels
From: Peter Cebalo <cebalo@NthShore.govt.nz>
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 09:18:32 +1200
Hi Dave,

Bolt on wires or bolt on splined hubs with wires ?

The Mk IV had optional factory bolt on wires ( 48 Spoke ). They are
quite rare now. I noticed trispare have a set for sale. They most likely
will be missing their centre caps.

The splined hubs used on the Mk III and earlier are still available new.
Unfortunately, the Spitfire wires are a size used only by the
Herald/GT6/Vitesse/Spitfire models. Early Lotus Elans ( later had peg
drive ) and the Bond (Triumph based) cars were the only others that used
this size I know of.

The Sprite/Midget wires will not fit. The offset and Spline length is
different.

Spitfire painted come in painted 4.5" x 13" 60 spoke and 4.5" or 5.5" x
13" 60 spoke Chrome.

Rimmers in the UK seem to have a good deal on Wires. Their kits include
5 wheels. Most of the others have 4.

Be Careful buying used wires. They can be expensive to repair. The
Spitfire splines wear quicky due to the small spline size..

Hope this helps

Peter Cebalo

73 Spitfire Mk IV ( 5.5" wires still in box.. )

Auckland New Zealand