Re: Handbrake adjustment and manual

To: Thomas Dertz <s961051@stud.nhh.no>
Subject: Re: Handbrake adjustment and manual
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Sun, 2 May 1999 16:20:18 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 2 May 1999, Thomas Dertz wrote:

> Hi listers!
>
> Being a new subscriber, this is my first mail to the list. I recently
> purchased a '66 Spit Mk 2, which I am currently enjoying here in Bergen,
> Norway. Anyway, I am wondering if someone might help me with the
> following.
>
> 1) I need to tighten the handbrake, and removed the necessary panels,
> etc. to get to where the wire reaches the handbrake lever. However, the
> nut on the "inside" of the lever is square, and too big to move freely.
> How do I tighten it?

This adjustment is about the LAST one you want to make on the handbrake.
Assuming the cables and linkages all move freely (very important), the
first adjsustment to be made is to the rear brakes themselves. After that,
IF adjustment is still needed, the place to adjust slack in the cables is
first on the ends of the cables that connect to the rear brakes. Once that
is done, if you STILL have too much slack, then you would adjust the
cable at the handle.

I hope that helps!

--Andy