Re: CD player / FM modulator

To: brad.kahler@141.com
Subject: Re: CD player / FM modulator
From: "Ryan Smith" <shmitty99@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 08:14:30 PST
Brad, I have no hands on experience with a fm modulator changer but I do
know a lot about them (and stereos in general).  You place the changer
wherever you like and in line with the antenna there is a small unit
that broadcasts at an fm frequency usually around 89.5 or so.  To hear
the cd's you change the channel on your radio to whatever the preset
unit's is.  If you plan on using a dial radio (read: OLD) you'll have
the same amount of luck fine tuning your cd player as tuning in a really
strong fm signal.

Personally I think they are junk.  You don't do the CD justice by piping
it through the radio.  If your looking to keep your current radio for
some nostalgic purpose, would be the only reason to go this route.  Get
a new head unit with a dedicated optical or coax connection to the
changer.  Or just get an in dash cd player.  I used to have a 12 disk
changer mounted in the trunk of my first car.  It got to be a pain after
awhile.  Unless you listen to the same cd's over and over you'll be
about 100 cd's in my car and to me its just as easy to change in and out
of the dash.  My $0.02.

Next week (hopefully) I'll be installing the new sound system in the
spitfire.  Nothing drastic, just a couple of really nice 6X9 Infinity
Kappas that I have left over from another car, a cheap amp (VERY
important), and an even cheaper CD head unit.  The overall theme here is
cheap.  But It'll sound pretty good because of the amp getting a direct
low level input from the head unit, bypassing the head's crappy built in
amp.

good luck

Ryan Smith
72 Emerald Green Spitfire