Success At Last!

To: Spitfire Mail List <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Success At Last!
From: schuyler grace <schuyler@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 15:10:26 -0800
With much good advise from the list, Malibu Barbie's Dream Car now has
at least one non rusted component -- a SS exhaust from header to
tailpipe.  The header is a three-piece, 4-2-1 unit from Spitbits, and I
discovered that the center two tubes were interfering with the main
runner on the intake, keeping the intake from sealing at the bottom.  At
Bob Sykes' suggestion, I trimmed a little from the bottom of the intake
(not much, though because the aluminum kept fouling my cutting bit, and
I was afraid of going in too deep) and "tweaked" the tops of the two
offending tubes a small amount with a large, all purpose adjusting
tool.  That got the manifolds mounted with a good 1/4 inch to spare, and
Meineke did the rest for $70.

All things considered, I'd say the Spitbits header was well designed,
but I'm going to let Mr. Spitbits (Niegel - sp?) know what I ran into,
so he can save his other customers a headache or two.  Also, the Falcon
exhaust system fit right up, just as it should.  My only complaint, now,
is that I sorta miss the road racer rumble of open pipes that I've grown
accustomed to over the last few weeks.  And be forewarned, the Falcon
muffler is *VERY* quiet -- it definitely ain't no Monza!

So, thanks again to all who contributed to the solution.  What a support
network, and thank (insert appropriate deity here) there isn't a
twelve-step program for us!  (Hello, my name is Schuyler, and I am a
Triumph owner.)

-Schuyler

--
Schuyler E. Grace