Re: Manual choke conversion

To: "Neil McAllister" <neil.mcallister@fvrl.bc.ca>, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Manual choke conversion
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 19:23:29 -0400
At 12:35 PM 10/21/98 -800, Neil McAllister wrote:
>I've obtained a manual choke/starting unit from an earlier carb.  I've also
>obtained a new cable and clip.  Any and all advice from others who have gone
>down this road would be gratefully appreciated.
>
>Also, anyone who could explain the method in which these units function would
>be helpful; I understand they aren't a conventional choke.

Neil,

My '79 with its ZS carb (you DO have the Zenith Stromberg, right?) has a
manual choke conversion instead of the water-actuated choke.

Basically the manual choke cable pulls open the water-choke's enrichment
plate, instead of the water-heated clock-spring type mechanism.

The enrichment plate, when "choked", allows more gas to enter the carb just
in back of the piston bridge.  There is a little hole back there which you
can see if you look carefully.

A choke on a "normal" carb uses a butterfly to restrict the air rather than
increase the gas.  The end result is the same, more gas to the same mount
of air.

There is a good explanation (with pictures!) of the water choke in the
Bentley manual.

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire  FM96062 UO
Succasunna, NJ USA