Re: mismatched tires

To: jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil (Bowen, Patrick A. RP2),
Subject: Re: mismatched tires
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 20:23:39 -0400
My .02...

I think you should hold out for at least one more tire so you can have the
same on each axle.  Everything Pat said applies, in my opinion.

One mismatched tire can cause a handing quirk, let them know that, so
safety would dictate a second tire of the same kind.

One caution about the pro-rating idea, often that is done based on list
prices.  You could end up paying more than the 'street price' if you go
that route.   Try to get a swap at no cost to you.

As an example, I am currently running Goodyear Corsa GTs (155-80R13) on my
Spit.   IIRC, the list price was in the $50 range, but I got them, mounted
and balanced, for $32 each.

As an alternative, perhaps the tire store could call other stores or the
Goodyear distributer to see if the discontinued tire was available
elsewhere. Ask them to make a few phone calls to obtain the correct tire,
and just replace the one bad one.

Good Luck,

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire  FM96062 UO