Ground (Earth) and Gauge Readings

To: Spitfire List <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Ground (Earth) and Gauge Readings
From: Bob Norway <examiner@scci.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 1998 12:29:12 -0400
I recently replaced my fuel sending unit and speedometer at the same
time. The sending unit was 'supposed' to be good, tho used. It seemed to
try to work for a while and then quit. After checking the list I decided
to replace the  voltage stabilizer with one off the old speedo. This
resulted in readings on the gas gauge, altho they seemed awfully high
(in fact turned out to be hi.. put 5.5 gallons in when gauge read more
than 1/2) The temp gauge started reading higher than normal also, altho
nothing had been changed or bothered with on the engine and it still
seemed to run as before.

Now, at this time I also noticed that I now had no dash light on the
speedometer. I finally got around to checking the light today. Pulled it
out, held it against a ground, and surprise, it worked. It was then I
noticed a black wire with two (2) lugs on it and only one was hooked up
- to the tach - At this time I realized that these lugs provided the
ground for the speedo and tach cases and had to be hooked up to both.
Hooked it up, and voila!, had speedo light.

Now the interesting part is that this also fixed my fuel and temp gage
problem of reading too hi!!! Fuel gauge now reads more accurately and
temp is back to center as it was previously to my fiddling around.

Bottom line..... if your having gauge problems, check those GROUNDS
(Earth to our friends over the water :>) )

Cheers

--
Bob Norway
Rockledge, Fl