Re: Tranny problems

To: Spitfire List <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Tranny problems
From: Bill Kelly <kelly@dss.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 00:05:39 -0400
Mike Welch wrote:

> ...I'm having trouble with 2nd and 4th gears.  If I'm at a stop, I can
> get those gears easily, but if I'm rolling it just grinds.  The car
> has been assembled from a few different parts cars, and I've tried 3
> other 3-rail remote assemblies with the same result... Anyone have any
> insight on this?

I have. Your gearbox is shot. <glib:>

Seriously, how bad is the grinding? Will it simply never go into these
gears while the car is moving? My first reaction would be worn syncros,
but this is unusual on 4th.

You say you've swapped the remote mechanisms. How about the top cover,
where the selector forks are? AFAIK, these are the same for all the
3-rail boxes.

I'd be happy to talk you through the diagnostics you can do without
taking the gearbox out of the car. Respond off list if you're
interested.

Bill Kelly
'62 Herald with freshly rebuilt 3-rail gearbox