Coverup

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Coverup
From: Randy Potter <rpotter@MAIL.CLARION.EDU>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 12:29:15 -0400
If anyone cares -

The installation of my Tonneau was a snap - or several as the case may be.
Upon close inspection, I found clips preinstalled in the cover which fit
the hold downs for the convertible top (I don't know if newer Spits have
these).  Once the cover was positioned on these, installation was simply a
matter of marking the location of each snap, installing it and moving to
its mirror image twin. I did  the "lift the dots" first, rear snaps next
and door snaps last, trial fitting after each one was installed.

The cover did come with markings identifying the  "factory" positioning,
which were close and probably would have worked but I ended up setting a
few of the snaps a fraction of an inch off the marks for a smoother fit.

The only problem I found was that one of my body snaps pulled off with the
cover the first time I removed it.  It seems that 35 years of weather had
enlarged the hole the snap was mounted in.  As it was on the door and a
pain to get to from behind, a repair was effected with a bit of epoxy.
With luck this will hold until I have a better reason for removing the
interior trim panel (is there such a reason?).  Then a proper reinforcer
can be put in.

I look forward to not having to rake out the interior as the leaves fall.

Thanks to all who replied to my original post with hints and suggestions.

Randy Potter
Mk II Spitfire Comm # FC55339L
Four wheels, but a limp.