Re: transmission covers etc.

To: Ryan Smith <shmitty99@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: transmission covers etc.
From: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@idirect.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 09:05:49 -0400
Ryan, I have an ABS tunnel cover, bought from TRF in August last year. I've
fabricated my own brackets in 1/8 aluminum to go all the way around the flange
where the tunnel cover meets the firewall. This is in three pieces which overlap
each other (offset bends in the overlaps). One across the top, and one on each
side. I also have brackets on the flange that fits to the floor area and extends
back to near the bolt holes for the support between the floor and dash. These
brackets are about the same width as the flange.

The brackets are my way of assuring the flange stays somewhat straight between
the mounting screws.

I got the cover complete with the installation kit which includes the gaskets,
screws and washers. The washers are rectangular with slotted holes. The screws
have combination heads on them, slotted and 5/16". They screw into clips on the
firewall and floor.

But before I put this whole thing into the car, I insulated it. I got some
heating duct insulation from Home Depot. It is similar to bubble wrapping but
has foil on both sides. I have about three layers installed, and finished off
the edges with foil tape. I carefully insulated the areas that would touch the
overdrive switches on the tranny by using plastic tape (three layers, I think).

That solved one part of the problem. There are two other areas that you need to
check. Any hole through the firewall is a source of heat from the engine bay if
it is not well sealed. Usually the holes in the grommets have lots of free area
that the wires and cables don't fill. From the inside, use some dum-dum (black
preferred, if you can get it) and seal these holes.

The last thing to check is the heater valve. If it is not shut off or is leaking
through, you need to adjust the heater control cable or replace the valve. If
this is working properly, you can now set the air flow control to "Car" and you
will get some air flow are your feet.

Good luck!

Vic Whitmore
76 Spitfire