Re: Pinstripes removal

To: "Jack Levy - Computer Consultants - Hwd. FL" <sales@cocoinc.com>,
Subject: Re: Pinstripes removal
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 21:30:02 -0400
At 05:48 PM 9/19/98 -0400, Jack Levy - Computer Consultants - Hwd. FL wrote:
>Does anyone have an easier way of removing pinstripes?

Nope.  Unless you remove the body tub and strip the paint.  :-/

>I am using a heatgun
>and no matter how much heat I use I can only get about 1/2 to 1 inch at a
>time. My Spitfire has 3 1/4 in stripes front to back along the fender line
>and 3 more around the hood, I've been doing this for a week and have barely
>finished one side, any other way?

I tried 3M trim remover (for fake wood-grain) from a body shop, and the
stuff was useless.   I tried industrial-strength heat guns, and scrapers.

What I finally worked best was a product I got at the Home Depot (building
supply superstore):  Non-Flammable Adhesive Remover.   "Takes off old
mastic and adhesive after removing tile and linoleum".

This is nasty stuff.  Buy some sturdy rubber gloves (it really stings if it
gets on your skin) and several plastic scrapers/spatulas from the paint
section of the store.

Apply the remover (in a well-ventilated area) to a small area of the stripe
at one time.  Use the plastic scraper to lift the stripe off, and some
lint-free cloths to remove the adhesive.  DON'T LET THE REMOVER STAY IN
CONTACT WITH THE PAINT, it will soften and lift it!

It will still take a long time.   I spent two solid weekends removing the
cracked and broken 3" stripes from my Spit.   I did damage the paint in a
few places, and had to touch it up.

All the usual disclaimers apply.

After I removed the stripe I could still see where it had been because the
paint was thicker and shinier where the stripe was.   So I spent an
additional weekend wet-sanding the high areas.

If you want to see before and after pics of the job I can send you some .JPGs.

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire  (Naked and Nameless)