Re: 71-72 GT6 MKIII/Spitfire MKIV Seats

To: Richard Ceraldi-ERC004 <Richard_Ceraldi-ERC004@email.mot.com>
Subject: Re: 71-72 GT6 MKIII/Spitfire MKIV Seats
From: Bill and Sal Birney <birneybs@onaustralia.com.au>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 08:46:34 +1000
At 16:54 15/09/98 -0400, Richard Ceraldi-ERC004 wrote:
>Scions,
>       Since the high back reclining seats are being mentioned I though I
>should throw this out. Both my 71 GT6 and 71 Spitfire have this style seat.
>I have not seen these seats in anything earlier than a 71 MKIII GT6 or later
>than a 72 GT6 MKIII or Spit of the same years.

The '70 GT6+ we have has these seats, although they are now a red/burgandy
colour rather than the original dark brown (yep, another one of those
horrible 70's brown cars). This car was made march 70, and the seats were
definately original (everything else that had been replaced in the car was
from something else other than a Triumph!). My GT6 also has (sorry, HAD)
the wiring loom of an early LHD MkIII (according to the books), the blacked
out windscreen surround (under the bad red respray), the single reverse
light and mount, and it did have the full emmision control including petrol
tanks as per the later car.

I found a local motor trimmer that was a cut above the rest, and had the
seats completely rebuilt (foam, diaphrams, covers, board, everything but
the frames, which needed repairs, were replaced). This was due to the cost
of getting parts into Oz, especially now that our $ is acting like some 3rd
world nations currency, and I'm not into originality if it's going to mean
we eat baked beans for a couple of months!

I would say that a lot of these things were introduced when Triumph needed
them, and then written up much later. I have seen a couple of MKIII
Spitfires out of the states with the later style dash (I, and everyone else
over here, assume that the factory ran out of LHD dashes before thay ran
out of LHD MKIII's to build).

Hope that doesn't throw too many spanners in the works,

Bill and Sal Birney
Melbourne, Australia

'67 Spitfire  MkII - Under resto
'70 GT6+ (RHD)