Re: how to fix leaking top?

To: KEVIN EDDINS <eddinsk@NRISO.NOLA.NAVY.MIL>
Subject: Re: how to fix leaking top?
From: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@idirect.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 14:20:20 -0400
Kevin, your not alone. I, and lots of others have the same problem.
On my way back home from the Roadster Factory Summerfest, I got drenched in a
downpour. I had just replaced the seal. The only solution at the time was duct
tape across the top of the windshield and edge of the top. That worked just
fine.
When I got home and looked at the mating between the header rail and the top of
the windshield, I found that the top of the windshield is actually a nearly flat
surface. The header rail is slightly curved. I tried removing some of the curve
to get a better seal, especially in the middle. I didn't fix the problem and I
can't say that it helped it to a great degree because I haven't been through a
downpour since.
I feel that the header rail gets curved from the strain that is constantly on it
when you dirve at highway speeds with the top up. It will give more in teh
middle where it is free to bend.
If you find a solution, there would be many of us that would be forever
grateful.

Vic Whitmore
76 Spitfire
Thornhill, Ontario