RE: Ugly? Black Bumpers

To: "'spitfires@Autox.Team.Net'" <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Ugly? Black Bumpers
From: Tustin <tustin@xmission.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 15:30:55 -0600
Well, of course, to each their own, but I think you'll find many Spitfire
owners love their cars so much greatly because they AREN'T modern - rather
they're classics.  And somehow "classic" and chrome just seem to go
together like a hand in a glove.  Also, anybody that appreciates handling
knows that heavy outside weight - here in the form of those huge '79 and
'80 bumpers - works against you.  I have a limited background in racing
Datsun Z cars SCCA, where you rarely see any Z other than the 240Z (as
apposed to it's successors, the larger engined 260 and 280 Zs) because
their bodies (especially 70 and early 71s) were exceptionally light -
including bumpers so light that the only purpose they served was asthetic.
 I just wonder what cars (and their bumpers) would look like today if the
automakers weren't so limited by safety standards.

-Tustin
'67 Spit
'70 240Z