Re: electric fan shorting out

To: ualbert@juno.com, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: electric fan shorting out
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 1998 21:04:12 -0400
At 01:32 PM 9/7/98 -0500, ualbert@juno.com wrote:
>Well, I started to investigate the possibilities why the electric fan on
>my '79 is overheating on the wire. The wiring diagrams are a bit
>confusing. On the relay unit, there's 5 slots but only 4 of them are
>being used. One of them has 2 wires in there. Is that just how it was
>used on this model, as this relay is being used on other car models?
>Another weird oddity I ran into after my car overheated was with the
>juice on, the fan started after about a 20 second delay. Arrgh

If your fan motor is overheating the wires, it is drawing too much current.
  Assuming the wires are "Factory" and are the proper gauge (thickness),
then the windings of the motor may be shorted.

The wiring of the relay does not seem unusual to me.   But if the wire
terminals were improperly crimped, they could have a smaller effective load
carrying capacity, and heat up while the fan is operating. This is a common
problem on Lotus Europas and early Esprits.

But the start delay points to a bad motor, in my opinion.  Replace it
before your whole car becomes 'toast'.

Regards,

Atwell