Re: Brake and tail lights

To: Bob Norway <examiner@scci.net>
Subject: Re: Brake and tail lights
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 1998 08:13:04 -0400
At 10:12 PM 9/6/98 -0400, Bob Norway wrote:

>I found this to be usually caused by the ground in the socket becoming
>separated from where the bulb makes contact. I had to replace the socket to
>fix mine. Tried soldering in the gap, but didn't work very well

Bob,

FWIW, I did the DeOxit/cleaning thing (NO crimping or soldering) about a
year ago on my Spit (two bad sockets), no problems since.

Now, if you had Shipwright's Disease and a few extra dollars (pence?) you
would want to reduce the amount of moisture getting into the lamp sockets.
Remember, as you drive, the air over the back of the car tries to suck the
water into the taillight area.   So they have to have good gaskets and
seals to provide reliable service.

Spend the money to replace those rotten gaskets ($7-10 USD per side) while
they are apart.  And coat the mating surfaces with Vaseline (or any other
non-petroleum grease you prefer) to further resist the ingress of moisture.

Just 2 more cents from me.

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire  FM96062 UO
(53 HP)

Succasunna, NJ USA

The One Immutable Rule of Automotive Satisfaction:
"It is more fun to drive a slow car fast than to drive a fast car slow"
- Cory Farley in Autoweek, 8/17/98