Re: fuse holder melted

To: ualbert@juno.com
Subject: Re: fuse holder melted
From: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@idirect.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 1998 08:35:50 -0400
It's not the voltage. And it is probably not the fuse.

I'll bet that the fuse holder is slightly corroded and the tangs have lost some
tension  over the years. When this happens you get an "ohmic" contact that has
an amount of resistance. When current flows through the ohmic joint, heat is
created. The amount of heat is proportional to the amount of current and the
resistance (remember Ohm's Law). It is possible that the amount of heat could
have deformed the plastic.
The tangs of the fuse holder on each of of the fuse should be cleaned (e.g. with
a 600 grit emery paper) and the tangs bent towards each other to tighten the
contacts.

Vic Whitmore
76 Spitfire
Thornhill, Ontario