[Shotimes] DEALERSHIP TRANSACTION: LIFE LESSON OR IS RECOURSE POSSIBLE?

To: shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shotimes] DEALERSHIP TRANSACTION: LIFE LESSON OR IS RECOURSE POSSIBLE?
From: jfkoper1@aol.com
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 17:26:59 -0400
 Hello everyone,

My mom bought a b99 Lincoln Town Car Signature Edition (excellent condition,
$6,500) with 122K on it while I was at the SHO convention. (That was her first
mistake, doing this while the bcar guybbmebwas outta town!) She
requested a few items be done to it prior to sale (new rotors, fuel injection
flush, install 6-CD player, new serpentine belts, independent mechanical
inspectionbabout  $1,000 worth of stuff). To be fair, she did sorta make
them jump through some hoops on the pre-sale prep, so they have my sympathy on
tolerating her demands. She had driven it around 200 miles in the four weeks
shebs had it. Long story short, she ended up taking it back because she
realized she didnbt need the car (trust me, I tried to talk her out of this
one). Not surprisingly, the dealer was not pleased that she wanted to return
it. At first he said bif you can get a better price elsewhere, go for it.b
Though he was not obligated to take the car back, the dealer said he could buy
it back for $3,000. He also indicated that if she waited until the next day to
decide what she wanted to do, that the offer would go down to $2,500. She felt
pressured with few options, so she accepted his boffer.b She did not have
(or take) the opportunity to see if she could get more from a place like
CarMax.

I would not expect the dealer to buy it back for full purchase price, that he
should deduct the $1,000 for the pre-sale work and also take some
depreciation, say $1,000.
So, $6,500 - $1,000 - $1,000 = $4,500. I would deem this a fair amount (Mom
takes a $2,000 loss on the deal). I contend that the $1,000 or pre-sale prep
worth make it more appealing to the next prospective buyer. My beef is the
$1,500 difference ($4,500-$3,000) of pure profit (my perception) that the
dealer is shafting her on. This is a seven-year-old car already, so true
depreciation should not be an issue.

Maybe this has no bearing on the situation, but Dad passed on back in January,
so I believe that Mom is still in state that she should not be making big
decisions or purchases (like a car). So, yeah, the money that she used for the
car could be used for living expenses. I think the dealer took advantage of a
widow. This is a dealer from which webve bought several (used) cars over the
past 25 years

I am thinking of talking to the dealer to recoup some or all of the $1,500
difference. Do I have much of recourse on this? I know Mom would not want to
take this to court (just not up to that type of an emotional fight), but Ibm
thinking the BBB might offer a way to resolve this if the dealer balks on any
additional compensation.

Is this worth fighting for, or is this one of lifebs lessons that she has to
learn the hard way?

Thanks for reading -- any advice?

Jim Koper
1992