shop-talk

Re: How the h*ll...now Grease?

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: How the h*ll...now Grease?
From: Rush <jdrush@enter.net>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 23:55:18 -0400
Perhaps you get a different kind than me, but the blue, marine grease
I'm familiar with is not intended to be a general purpose grease. It is
intended for open, low pressure applications where washout is the major
problem. Any surface where the Hertz stress is high, such as
roller-element bearings, will punch right through the marine grease film
and wear out the surface. Ask me how I know. :( The heaviest usage I put
marine grease through is in plain bushings where the working contact
surface is very large.

Jon