shop-talk

RE: parts washer

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: parts washer
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 15:44:59 -0700
> One of the newest solvents to become
> popularized is fatty acid methyl esters. This stuff is made from
> waste food oil and is completely biodegradable. I bought
> some once in a coop in Sweden; the printed labels on the plastic
> containers it came in were all gone because the solvent
> was able to penetrate that kind of plastic and dissolve the
> print from the inside. It's currently blended into diesel fuel
> (ever hear of B20?) in some southern states, and is sold for
> about $4.00 a gallon a real fancy marinas to folks who don't
> want regular diesel smoke to soil their sails. Common names
> would be methyl soyate, methyl cornate. If you go to a farmer's
> coop (Cenex/Harvest States has something, I would have
> to dig a bit to find a name for you), or look up FAME or
> fatty acid methyl esters on the web, you will probably find plenty.

Sounds like "Biodiesel B100" is what you want to look for (B20 is 80%
conventional diesel fuel, while B100 is 100% methyl soyate).  Here's a web
site with a list of retail refueling stations that sell the stuff :
http://www.biodiesel.org/buyingbiodiesel/retailfuelingsites/default.shtm

Not real common, but I see there is one just down the road from me, perhaps
I'll try the stuff.

Randall