shop-talk

Re: Trailer loading question

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Trailer loading question
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 11:12:22 -0400
Lengths of chain with hooks on heach end, a cable type comalong (or
two), and chocks.  These are the tools I use when doing just the sort of
job you describe.

Roll the car down until it's sitting still with the front wheels on the
ramps.  Use the chains to limit forward motion by wraping one end around
the axle, the other end around a tree or such, and leave only a few feet
of slack.  Use the comealong to pull the car up onto the trailer.
Readjust and relocate the chain as you go.  I'll use chocks to also
control forward motion and prevent myself from having a bound up chain.
The steeper and hairier the loading, the shorter the free length on the
chain, and the closer the wheel chocks.  No matter how steep the ground,
it seems I always need a comealong to at least get the car started up
the trailer ramps.  As I progress up the trailer, I can change the
chaining to the front chassis of the car and the rear of the trailer.

Unloading:
Basically reverse the above.  I have also chained the car to a tree and
essentially pulled the trailer out from under it.

The most important step imo is to take your time and think things out.

>>> Steven Trovato <trovato@computer.net> 08/07/02 11:43PM >>>

I have an auto transport trailer, but not a whole lot of experience
using
one.  If the trailer is perfectly level, or if the front is a bit
higher,
you winch the car onto the trailer, strap it down and you're set.
Where I
live, however, it is a bit hilly.  If the front of the trailer is lower

than the back, is there a technique for loading that prevents the car
from
rolling forward in an uncontrolled manner once it climbs the ramps?
I'm
assuming I'm alone, and the vehicle is being winched onto the trailer,
not
driven.  The reverse problem exists when unloading.