shop-talk

Re: new hammer drill needed

To: Scott Hall <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Subject: Re: new hammer drill needed
From: rgibbs@pacbell.net
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2000 09:32:47 -0800
Scott Hall wrote:

> well, I've destroyed (finally) the old hammer drill I had.  no great loss,
snip
> so, I need a new one soon (see later post), and this time I'd like a
> cordless.  looking at harbor freight's site and the local home
snip

Scott,

Dewalt, and Black & Decker have the same parent company.  This does not mean
that the Dewalt is a glorified B&D, they put out (in general) high quality
products.

I really like my cordless drill, a Bosch 9.6v which is now about 5 years old.
A quality cordless drill is a GREAT tool for a lot of applications where it is
difficult or impossible to get a cord to the job. In an attic, working on
houses without power, crawling under a house, working on a fence 200 feet from
the nearest outlet. For these applications and many cases in the shop I just
grab the cordless.

One thing to consider, since you said that you want to keep this tool
"forever" is the cost of replacement batteries.  My drill came with two
batteries, one is at maybe half strength, the other original battery is dead.
I recently ordered a replacement at about $45.00.  The Bosch line is more
expensive, but the other 9.6 v batteries are in the same ball park.  Cordless
tool batteries have a limited life. I don;t know what the other folks
experience is, but I would count on replacing the batteries every couple of
years.  This is not an insignificant cost.

Sounds like you will be working in your house, maye a corded drill would meet
your needs ? OTH, if you have the need a cordless drill is a pretty nice tool
- I would not want to be without mine.

Sometime in the last couple of months Fine Homebuilding ran an article on
cartridge drivers.  You might find a copy in the local library.  The nail
driven into the concrete generates intense heat and somehow bonds to the
concrete.  Not easily withdrawn, would probably be fine for an interior wall.
I would use grouted threaded studs to expansion bolts myself.

Good luck and have fun. No matter what choice you make you will win (ie: a NEW
tool!)

-Roger