mgs

RE: 25D4 vs. 45D4

To: "Todd Mullins" <muses@cableone.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 25D4 vs. 45D4
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 12:38:26 -0700
Todd:

You remembered correctly. The 45D is technically superior to the 25D
design, especially when fitted with points.

In general the cap and rotor re-design makes the unit less prone to
carbon tracking making the unit more suitable for electronic ignition
usage.

The point sets and operating cam were upgraded giving longer life and
better accuracy without the need for high spring pressure.

There were two different point sets available in the 45D unit. The
earlier design had a red lifter block and was found originally in the
Fed spec. 1975 only application. Later during the 80s the red point set
was superseded by the blue self wiping points. These point sets are not
interchangeable. Also if you are fitting a Pertronix unit, you do have
to get the correct one to fit the installed point plate.

If the unit you received had no numbers on it, then it is probably the
reproduction of the original Lucas 41427 unit. The repro units use the
later blue type point sets and have the correct centrifugal and vacuum
advances for the 1962-67 MGB application. It turns out this unit also
works well with manifold vacuum although I would not have believed it
until prompted to give it a try by Carl Heideman.

Kelvin.