mgs

RE: Ethanol in the Gas

To: "Max Heim" <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>,
Subject: RE: Ethanol in the Gas
From: "Councill, David" <dcouncill@msubillings.edu>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 20:25:21 -0600
Actually its MTBE. A number of states used it.

As far as running ethanol in our Bs, there is no problem using it. Gasohol has
been available in the midwest since the 70s. I used to burn it all the time in
my 65B when I was attending school in Nebraska back then. I don't think it
will make the rubber hoses brittle or anything like that. There were some
American cars back in the 70s  that were not supposed to run gasohol or at
least concentrations of ethanol greater than 5 or 10 % (gasohol is typically
10% ethanol) due to their design or their type of rubber being used. The
ethanol will actually clean some of the fuel deposits out of the system so you
may experience some brief moments of rough idling or hesitation on the first
tank or two. The ethanol will also abosrb moisture in the gas which makes it a
great fuel line anti-freeze during the winters.

Personally, I think we (USA) should have gone to a gasohol standard in the 70s
like Brazil did. And I recommend its use in MGs. I would burn it regularly
except the nearest station that has it around here that I know if is 135 miles
south of here but I buy it whenever I go through there.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B