mgs

Re: Cooling in relation to water speed

To: "Barrie Robinson" <barrie@look.ca>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Cooling in relation to water speed
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 17:23:27 -0500
Barrie,
I must confess that I really haven't been following this thread very closely
until now.

It is my understanding that coolant that speeds through the radiator in
theory will not have as much of a chance to transfer the heat to the cooling
fins before it is thrust back into the heat source again (namely the
engine).

That is why in hot weather it is much better to have a thermostat or at
least a blanking sleeve installed to slow down the coolant flow rate. This
allows the heated coolant more time to transfer the heat out into the tubes,
fins, and the surrounding cooler air before returning to the heat source
once more.
Further, any coolant that will dissipate the heat a little better is a
definite advantage too.

Rich Chrysler