mgs

Re: Part Two: Has Anyone Had this Happen?

To: scottinthestans@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: Part Two: Has Anyone Had this Happen?
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 08:39:44 -0400
Scott,
  A test of the rear axle half-shafts is to leave it in gear, jack up one
rear wheel and turn it.   If the driveshaft can't turn (because it's in
gear)  and the wheel does, it's one of the half-shafts or the diff
gearing.   You didn't hear a crash/crunch, so diff gearing is probably
OK.    BTW, this half-shaft breakage is not at all rare on TDs.
Bob