mgs

Re: MGB servo not working

To: "St" <jf.stas@skynet.be>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGB servo not working
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 11:33:17 +0100
What makes you say the servo isn't working?  It makes very little difference
in practice.  A hard pedal is good, unless the brakes are binding on as
well.  If you cannot lock the front wheels when progressively apply pressure
to the pedal then either there is something wrong with some other part of
the braking system, which is pretty serious, or you just aren't pushing hard
enough.  They do need more pressure than a modern car.  After the engine has
been running and then switched off you should be able to hear the servo
making a noise as you push and release the brake pedal for a few pumps.  If
not then the hose could be blocked so it isn't getting a vacuum, or perhaps
the diaphragm is punctured which means it won't be holding a vacuum, and
weakening the mixture to boot.

PaulH.