mgs

Re: Steering Wheel for '66B

To: "William T Snyder" <wtsnyder@juno.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Steering Wheel for '66B
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2004 09:06:20 -0400
The bottom line to all this wheel restoration is the fact that although an
effective temporary repair can be made, ultimately it will recrack. This
holds true for all epoxies, even Eastwood's steering wheel repair kit.
The simple fact is that the core rim is steel and the old plastic and any of
these repair materials can't follow the expansion and contraction that will
ultimately happen with temperature changes.
As far as I'm concerned the best answer to keep our cars original is to
install a new reproduction of the original spring spoke wheel which has the
advantage of a modern plastic that will expand and contract with the steel
core and will last intact for many years.
Of course I'm an originality nut, but it seems that at shows with rows and
rows of nice looking MGB's as soon as you look into the interior, it's so
often disapointing to see the owner has chosen "other" stuff instead of the
smart looking and correct original style wheel.
To each his own for sure......
Rich Chrysler