mgs

Re: Hot weather overheating

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hot weather overheating
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 10:03:02 +1030
Max Heim wrote:

> I haven't used it, though I have heard similar good things about it, mainly
> from racers. Many sanctioning bodies do not allow glycol-based coolant due
> to its slipperiness when expelled onto the track, so they mostly run water,
> anyway.

We have had this discussion on the list before.  They had this big
discussion amongst the motorsport community here when they tried to
bring in the "no glycol" regulations in Australia.  The sanctioning body
(CAMS) published reports from technical authorities saying how straight
water worked better, etc. but it seems it just never got up and the
regulations were never changed.

The primary argument was for those tracks that handled bikes as well as
cars (dried glycole on the track isn't too big an issue for cars) and I
guess seeing as our "four wheel" authority is totally seperate from the
"two wheel" authority they probably just didn't have their heart in the
fight.  It was good that they tried, but...

Having said that, my track car doesn't have a catch-tank and I use
glycol-based coolant.  Go figure.

--
Eric
'68MGB MkII