mgs

Re: Door Mirrors for 1966 MGB

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Door Mirrors for 1966 MGB
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 11:39:28 -0600
Maybe I'm not correct. The passenger side mirror was mounted forward on the
fender but that may only be true for a certain period, early 70s perhaps,
with the rectangular mirrors. The Mark 1 cars used round mirrors. I will
have to look at Clausagers but it looks like (and somewhat confirmed by
Moss)  these mirrors were all optional. Meaning the cars would not
necessarily even have side mirrors and quite often just on the driver side.

What I want to do is replace the gaudy and worthless mirrors on my 67BGT
with something functional and fairly authentic. Below is a picture of my
BGT, taken by the PO before he sold it to me -
http://www.imt.net/~dcouncil/mg/99mgld.jpg

These large bullet-like mirrors frequently sag and they don't belong on the
car anyway.

Ed of Just Brits has offered the 223-210 mirror, listed as a "period
accessory" in the Moss catalog for both sides. It looks like the main
difference between them and the "Lucas style" is the mount point and the
price (Lucas style is  a bit cheaper and comes in flat or convex). So it
seems like it is more complicated between types of mirrors and attachment
points.

A look on Ebay shows some inconsistencies with the mirrors on the Mark I
cars, maybe going back to mirrors being optional add ons. There is one
restored 67 BGT for sale showing round mirrors on both doors. I'll likely
go with a similar setup, just to replace my present tacky mirrors and use
or cover up the holes they use to attach to the doors. I'll assess that
before I order by seeing what holes I have. If it wasn't for the holes, I'd
probably just go with the driver's side (just like my 72B except it has the
rectangular side mirror).

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B