mgs

Re: Wiper Wheelbox/Stem

To: "Plant, Keith Contractor \(NSAGAETA N6\)"
Subject: Re: Wiper Wheelbox/Stem
From: "Jeff Fayne" <fayne@attglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 16:41:55 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Plant, Keith Contractor (NSAGAETA N6)" <PlantK@nsa.naples.navy.mil>
To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Sunday, April 18, 2004 6:26 AM
Subject: Wiper Wheelbox/Stem

> Fellow Listers,
>
> I am still quite the novice, but I beleive I'm slowly learning the ins and
> outs of the MG because of the great information on this list.  Normally I
an
> just a lurker but every now and then I have a question like today.  The
> grooved top of the wheelbox on my MG has worn down horribly to the point
it
> will spin and the wiper will not move.  I ordered another wheelbox and
> promprly seemed to have destroyed it :-/.  In the Haynes manuel and also
on
> the Moss website, it shows the top as detachable as to where the 'stem' of
> the wheebox along with the gear will drop from the assembly, thus allowing
> the cable to be removed/placed from inside the housing.  I used a set of
> plyers to try to remove this 'cap' with teeth but only succeeded in
cracking
> a piece of the top off (I'm praying it's still usable, at least
> temporarily...).  How do I disassemble the wheelbox/stem assembly! Help!
:)

> Thanks in advance.  Here are two photos of the new/broken item, if it is
not
> usable temporarily, I'll have to visit Jeff Zorn's website again!
>
> http://www.worldseyeview.com/keith/wheelbox.jpg --- Picture from good
side.
> Cap that is 'supposedly' removable, is the dark metal on top.
> http://www.worldseyeview.com/keith/wheelbox1.jpg --- Picture of the
cracked
> side.  Sorry about quality/flash.
>
> Very Respectfully,
> Keith Plant
> '69 B Roadster

Keith,

As best as I can recollect from replacing my wheelboxes, the splined drive
'nut' you are referring to is not removable. I believe it is 'peened' in
place and thus the wheelbox is replaced as a complete unit.

>From the photos, it doesn't look like you've completely destroyed the
splined part, I would remove a wiper arm and try it on the wheelbox. If you
don't have slop, you're ok.

The trick to installing this (other than playing contortionist under the
dash), is to cut the old mounting nut and split it. You can try to loosen
it, you may get lucky and it will be removable, but most likely it will
either be frozen solid or just spin.

Good luck,

Jeff
'70B