mgs

RE: Exhaust sytem upgrade?

To: "RICK ALBIN" <rdalbin@msn.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Exhaust sytem upgrade?
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 12:24:56 -0700
Rick:

First off, no exhaust component is going to be exact, and trying to wrestle
systems onto a car on jackstands is a royal pain.  Try to get the use of a lift
if at all possible.

Second, except for the Paeco header and exhaust, none of the headers on the
market are guaranteed to fit directly up to an exhaust system without some
fiddling.  A sleeve or intermediate piece may be needed to connect the two.

FME the Ansa system is superior to the Monza system.  Just MHO, ask for other
feedback.  Moss is prefers stocking the Ansa for that reason.

A long center branch header such as Maniflow or Paeco is the way to go if you
choose to use a header.  Don't expect an increase in power, but you won't have
to worry about blowing down pipe gaskets any more.  I chose a Paeco header for
my current project and am pretty happy with the value for money.  The Falcon
Stainless 3 piece LCB header is lovely, but $$.  If you buy a header fit it
before painting or coating.  Once it fits correctly, Jet Hot Coating or equiv.
will make it last forever.

We just installed a Falcon big bore stainless exhaust to our supercharged MGB
with stock manifold.  It uses a single box which gives the car a bit more
ground clearance, looks stock, sounds good and fit well.
That's as far as I will go with a recomendation as exhaust system fit is a
common problem.  We are spending a lot of time going back and forth with the
manufacturers to improve fit and finish, but it feels like 2 steps forward, 3
back.

hope this helps

Kelvin.
building a 79B with Paeco Header (with oxy sensor) and Ansa exhaust.