mgs

Why no MGs?

To: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>, MG-MGB@yahoogroups.com,
Subject: Why no MGs?
From: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 05:54:38 -0700 (PDT)
> And a Midget *is* being discussed and
> MG Rover aren't denying.  But none of
> them are likely to reach
> North America.

What's the official reason why MG isn't planning a
return to North America?  They seem to have a very
appealing range of cars, and they wouldn't have to
come back with ALL of them.  I mean, I can understand
companies like Renault (whose model range doesn't
really "translate" well into North America) and Alfa
Romeo (who would be battling one of the worst image
problems in US automotive history, right when they can
afford failure the least), and maybe even Peugeot
(who's tepid attempts to sell cars toward the end of
their US presence included primarily their
least-appealing models), but why not MG?

I think there used to be a misconception that US
buyers would shun sporting vehicles developed for
continental tastes, but I think that misconception was
largely based on the dismal sales failure of cars like
the BMW 318ti, Peugeot 405 mi16 and Alfa 164, which
all failed (in my opinion) for other reasons.  But
recently, the wild popularity of cars like the Subaru
WRX and Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution (and the
multi-billion-dollar aftermarket industry that now
supports sport compacts) have proven that we will
embrace specialty cars with premium brand recognition,
and stand in line to buy them.  In fact, everyone is
trying to jump into the act, most notably Ford with
the acclaimed SVT Focus and Dodge with the Neon SRT-4.

It strikes me that some of the sporting small sedans
that MG builds - even more so than the TF - could
carve out a small but highly profitable niche market
here.  As far as I know there is no negative brand
awareness to overcome (as there would be for Peugeot,
Renault and Alfa Romeo).  Sell one "halo" car over
here for a little while, build killer brand awareness
through that and things like the IRL and IMSA racing
programs, and then start broadening the product line.

But then again, what the heck do I know?  What's the
party line?  Why does the Rover Group say they don't
sell cars here?

=====
Paul Misencik
1971 MGB Vintage Race Project