mgs

Tao of Bugs

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Tao of Bugs
From: Tab Julius <tab@penworks.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 21:32:00 -0400
I do not understand this.  I own three vehicles.  One is a piece-of-junk
'83 Ford Ranger for getting stuff to the dump, running errands to Home
Depot, etc.

The other two are convertibles.

My "real" car is a Saab 900 convertible.

My "surreal" car is my '78 MGB

The Saab's windshield is probably 6-12 inches higher than the MG's, though
I haven't measured it.

Driving both in my local area, at all hours (meaning both are roughly
equally exposed to the same environment), my MG's windshield will
invariably be covered in dead bug smegma.  Whereas the Saab's windshield is
barely covered at all - I have to reach high speeds on the highway in the
evening to reach the same bug:glass ratio.

I doubt that the Saab has a built-in bug-repellent windshield.  They're
nice cars, but not that nice.

Likewise, it's not like the MGB should be a bug-repellent.  If I owned an
Austin-Healey bugeyed Sprite I might be able to contemplate that, but as it
is, the only real difference is windshield height.

Is it just me, or does anyone else see exceptional bug splatter/smegma on
their MG not replicated on other vehicles.  If so, any musings as to
WHY?  Do an extra six to twelve inches (of windshields!) really make a
difference?  In short, does size matter?

Scraping as we speak...

- Tab