mgs

Re: Fuel Additive

To: "Mike Razor" <mrazor@mis.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Fuel Additive
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 15:42:24 +0100
With the then impending demise of leaded petrol from the UK in 1999 the
Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs organised a set of tests by the
Motor Industry Research Institute at which new BL A-series engines were
tested both without and with various additives.  The A-series was known to
be particular susceptible and new engines were used as anything else
wouldn't have been a level playing field.  The engines were run at very high
speeds and heavy loads for long periods, and recession certainly happened on
untreated and some treated engines, the additives for which were deemed to
have failed.  At the time only four additives were deemed to have passed
giving acceptable protection against recession.  Of course, the recession
rate on engines used less harshly, and with many thousands of miles running
on leaded, will be much less, quite possibly non-existent.