mgs

Re: 3 exterior mirrors?

To: "MG List Postings" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 3 exterior mirrors?
From: "Dean T. Lake" <dtlake@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 09:38:24 -0500
>I just noticed that a MGC on eBay has two door mirrors plus one fender
mirror.  It just seems odd.  Has anyone else seen that before on any
car?  Why 3? It's not like a roadster has a blind spot!

------->

I have four on my B-GT!  I wanted the two fender mounted mirrors because I
grew so accustomed to the one on my roadster (and I don't mind even a little
how they look!).  Because the car already had the conventional door mounted
mirrors, I left those in place rather than having the unsightly holes and
differentially faded paint.  I intended to some day remove the holes during
a full paint restoration.  Meanwhile, the result may be unusual in
appearance, but the presence of all four mirrors does improve visibility.
The fender mounted mirrors (convex - the only way to go) are aimed solely at
the "blind spot" while the door mounted mirrors can then be aimed slightly
more inboard than usual to give a farther look down the lane behind.  The
effect is not unlike the large racing units with multiple mirrors that allow
for similar dedicated lines of sight.  Since I may well take this car out
for road racing some day,  the mirrors could stay where they are (you sure
don't need mirrors for autocross).  As for their use on a roadster, they
would be similarly useful when the top is up, but not so much with the top
down, when a turn of the head does the trick.  This guy with the C may well
have had a similar quandary about the existing mounting point of the door
mirror, or may have enjoyed the same increase of sight line options.

Dean