mgs

Steering and Front Bearings

Subject: Steering and Front Bearings
From: "Ross Bateman" <ross@rcsa.co.za>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 13:05:57 +0200
Hi

Well I have finally started the rebuild on my 68 B.

Steering:
Last  night I started setting up the steering. I do not have a balljoint
splitter and could not separate the balljoint no matter what I tried. So I
ended up loosening up the small clip on the gaiter and then the large one
(spilling oil all over the place because I did not RTFM very well). I then
turned the tie-rod by hand and vice grip into the balljoint.

Alignment is not an issue yet, but I just want to get as close as possible.

My question is, turning the tie-rod in this fashion should not damage
anything should it?
>From all the exploded views I have looked at, the tie-rod should just have
turned in the ballhousing.

Front Wheel Bearings:
I have been watching the front wheel bearing posts intently because this is
one of the jobs I am busy with. Last night I started fitting the Driver's
Side hub and wheel bearings.

Lindsay Porters MGB Restoration manual suggests that you fit the whole
assembly together and then remove shims until you feel a little friction
when turning the hubs. Once you get to this stage, you fit a 3 thou shim.
I fitted the bearings and shims and did the above until it felt like
friction to me (the bearings made a slight scraping sound) I then fitted the
3 thou shim and tightened to 40 lbs of torque. The hub turned with no noises
and smoothly but you can not spin it (if that makes sense), it is still
quite tight. I then fitted another 3 thou shim and tightened up, but the hub
felt to loose to me and had a little play.

I am not sure how freely the hub should turn ???

Thanks for any advice,

Ross Bateman
British Sports Cars in South Africa
www.rcsa.co.za