mgs

Re: Aftermarket Leather Steering Wheel Questions

To: "Patton Dickson" <kpdii@earthlink.net>, "'mglist'"
Subject: Re: Aftermarket Leather Steering Wheel Questions
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 17:41:27 -0700
At 03:20 PM 2/6/2003 -0600, Patton Dickson wrote:

>Finally, the leather stitching has come loose where the leather ends
>meet. It is not bad, but one day I'll want to fix it.  Is there anyway
>to repair that?

I would be interested too, if anyone knows a fix or a place to get the
leather fixed. My 67BGT came with an aftermarket steering wheel. It looks
nice except the leather was splitting. So I covered it with one of those
generic leather wraps for now. That gives it a nice feel and appearance but
ultimately I would prefer a more original look. Judging from the style, the
wear, and the nice MG centerpiece, I think the steering wheel may have come
with the car, perhaps installed as a dealer option.

I have some pictures - the steering wheel can be seen but not too clearly at:
http://cu.imt.net/~dcouncil/mg
These pictures were taken by the previous owner when he was selling the
car. The steering wheel is somewhat visible in the bottom pictures.

Since I got the car, I have restored the interior (dash cover and seat
covers). The carb air filters pictured have been replaced with stock air
filters which means the coolant overflow tank was also removed. So the car
is near original, except perhaps the door mirrors, which I will get to
after I finish my 72B restoration.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B