mgs

Mk2 B Tunnel size

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Mk2 B Tunnel size
From: Donna and Doug Keeble <dkeeble@aeroinc.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 16:13:10 -0600
The  MGB tunnel was in fact widened for the automatic trans option of
'68 , no other  reason. It was so unpopular only several hundred  were
ordered, and it was dropped without fanfare. I have never seen one in a
B, maybe sold better in the UK.It was a 3 speed  Borg-Warner  also used
in late 50,s Studebakers. Talk about slow,it  had no load sensed
downshift, only throttle position sensing. To get a downshift on an
uphill run you really had to floor it! Also offered on the C and not so
uncommon. I,ve seen 4 in 20 or so years in the US. Maybe made as many as
1500 of  roughly 9800 C,s worldwide. The  auto C had a 3.31 diff, useful
in a BV8 if you could find one.The extra torque of the C made the auto
box sort of  leisurely but livable  ......Doug Keeble

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///