mgs

Re: Burning Oil

To: "Denapoli, James J" <james.j.denapoli@lmco.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Burning Oil
From: Howard gentry <zymmer4@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 08:49:58 -0800 (PST)
--- "Denapoli, James J" <james.j.denapoli@lmco.com>
wrote:
> My 1975 MGB is burning oil.  I had a compression
> check and all cylinders
> checked out between 114 to 124.  How do I know if it
> is valves versus
> something more serious like rings?  I don't want to
> pull the engine - again,
> if I don't have to.  The car has 75,000 miles and
> has been desmogged.
>
> End
>
> Jim DeNapoli
    Jim,
     1)take a compression check as it sits, in a
warmed up condition.(you have done this)
2) pull plugs and pour a spoonfull of motor oil down
each cylinder.
3)immediately take another compression check.
4)if the pressure readings increased significently,
the problem may be the rings have worn out....if the
pressures do not rise,..it may be that the
valves(guides) are leaking.
good luck
Howard Gentry
1976 MG-B roadster