mgs

Finished a project (almost)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Finished a project (almost)
From: Dave Tietz <mgcats@ij.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 20:21:15 -0500
I just completed a wooden dash project on my MGB. I always wanted one to
kind of "dress up" the car, and finally completed it after a couple of
false starts. Here are the results:

http://www.davetietz.com/photos/011030-Dash%20Photos/index.html

It isn't quite done, I have a glove box door in the passenger side to
cut out yet (it's in there), but I am still waiting for the varnish to
fully cure, and I think it will take 6 months or so. I am going to wait
on the door and glove box until next spring.

It is Carpathian Elm Burl veneer on two layers of 1/8 inch plywood,
first one bolted to a old metal dash that has been cut out to make just
a frame to mount it to the car. The second layer was expoxied to the
first to "bury" the bolt heads. It has a slight curve. I moved the oil
pressure gauge to the console to keep the dash somewhat simple, with
just the four instruments (plus the console & dash come out from around
the radio/switches and heater controls/oil pressure gauge with out
having to disconnect them).

The Carpathian Elm is some tough stuff to work with!

All-in-all, it was fun.

Dave Tietz

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list