mgs

Re: update on engine removal

To: rexcats <rexcats@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: update on engine removal
From: "James H. Nazarian, Ph.D." <microdoc@zoominternet.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 16:48:21 -0400
rexcats wrote:

>  Hi Everyone,
>
> Well we did it!  We got the engine and transmission out of the 79 MGB, along
> with every other part that had to come off.  So everyone was right it was a
> tremendously messy job!  I'd say the hardest part was all the cleanup in the
> engine compartment where the rod exploded through the block and let oil have
> a free for all in there.  So 3 hours to pull the engine and the rest of the
> weekend cleaning up oil!  I even helped with a lot of it, have two broken
> nails, but since I used 5million  paper towels no grease on my hands!, I
> can't say so about Justin and the husband though they will have grease under
> their nails forever now! But the compartment is clean of oil and will be
> ready for the engine to go back in when that time comes.  Okay my frirst of
> many engine questions. Inside the bell housing of the transmission there was
> about a quarter inch of oil encrusted crud coated the whole inside housing,
> so my worry where did that come from?  Doesn't look like the outside gasket
> had a leak so I am guessing it came from inside the transmisssion?  Upon
> opening up the transmissionit appears as know chunks out of gears and that
> all gears move fine, so is it the seal on the inside that is Leaking?
> ANyway I just want to make sure we fix anything that needs it while the
> engine and transmission is out.
>
> Thanks
>
> Lisa Ann, Michael & Justin( who helped pull his first British engine)

Wow only two broken nails! Good Job!!!

Absolutely do change the rear engine seal, and both front and rear transmission
seals before reinstalling anything into the car. The crud inside the bell
housing
is a mixture of oil leaking from the rear engine seal, or the front transmission
seal, or more likely both, plus dust from the clutch. Unless you KNOW that the
clutch has very little use, install a new clutch, pressure plate, and graphite
throwout bearing while the engine is out. Transmission mount rubber often gets
like bubble gum after years of use bathed in engine oil. Unless they are as new
(ie: hard or firm rubber) replace them too.

Jim
microdoc@zoominternet.net
1999 BMW R1100RT Very Black... of course
BMW MOA #89329, BMW RA #25289, IBMWR
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Avant Very Silver
1960 MGA 1600 Very Red
1974 MGB-GT Damask (Very Burgundy) Red
1972 Suzuki TS185 Dual Sport, Very sort of orange. For Sale

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///