mgs

Re: Piston Speed

To: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>, MGS List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Piston Speed
From: Bill Dudley <wdudley4@home.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 10:56:04 -0700
Blake,

Thanks for the equations -- very interesting.  However, the formula for piston
velocity has a missing right parenthesis.  I assume it should be after the sin
2a???

I would also be interested in the source of these equations, if you would care
share it.

Thanks,

Bill Dudley
67 MGB

Bullwinkle wrote

> <<<snip>>>
>
> I found two formulas for finding piston velocity both when the
> piston and crankshaft lie in the same plane.  If they are not,
> then there are different formulas
>
> The first formula is too difficult to render in typed notation.
> The second is a simplified but approximate formaula.
>
> piston velocity= v(sin a + r sin 2a/2l
>
> Where v is crankpin velocity, a is the crank angle, r is crank
> radius (1/2 the stroke) , and l is the length of the connecting
> rod (center to center).
>
> v, the crankpin velocity, is dependent on the engine rpm and the
> crankpin throw.

> The mean piston speed at N r.p.m.,
>
> V (ft./sec.)=(2S/12)(N/60) wher S=the stroke in inches.

> I found the following mean piston speeds:
>
> MGC: 3060 ft/min at max power (5250 rpm) (1967 Autocar test)
> MGB: 3150 ft/min at max power (5400 rpm) (1962 Autocar test)
>
> Blake

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list